Wednesday, October 14, 2009

4/10: grapes harvest


The 4th of October, in the very same day where in the village from where I come from -Cupramontana - they celebrated the 72 Sagra dell'Uva (grapes feast), we did our first grapes harvest in Histon!

The enthusiasm for this has to be searched in my roots: Cupramontana is the leader (of one of the leaders depending to whom you ask) of Castelli di Jesi, which are the hills around Jesi, famous for the production of the wine Verdicchio.

Grapes and vineyards are part of my culture: since you are a child you look at the tractors bringing grapes to big wine cellars; you go to help friends to harvest the grapes; you study the making wine process at school since very early stage (because anyway it is around you); you take actively part in the Sagra dell'Uva doing different things and so on.

All of this to justify the fact that two years ago I planted in my garden in Histon a little grape plant (I guess it was about 30 cm tall), obviously after looking for the most sunny and protected spot in the garden.

And this year (the second for this plant), we had the grapes harvest: 18 little grapes, the longest of about 6 cm, with little tiny berry grapes.
But very very sweet.
I'm very proud of this!
It is like exporting my culture! ;-)

No comments: